Fade In version 3 has been (informally) announced.
Now, Fade In-wise, an update isn’t usually earth-shattering news because there are lots of them and they’re free, and if you miss one there’ll be another next week or next month with more stuff in it.
But this one is a bump from version 2 to version 3, and that’s for several reasons:
• First of all it encapsulates a huge number of changes since version 2 was first introduced. There have been between 40 and 50 updates since then, some of them pretty major. (You can see the list here.)
• For that reason, a version number increase is desirable. While a version 2 .fadein file can still be opened with the initial 2.0 release from a couple years ago, some of the newer features will not be recognized.
• There have also been a couple of new features that further change things such that a version bump is necessary.
What Version 3 won’t include (quite yet)
There are a number of things on the to-do list that won’t be in the initial release of v3. These include requested features (and things I want to see, too) and other planned work including:
• Improved mobile app(s) for Android, iPhone, and iPad. These are in the works.
• The architectural reworking of the macOS version to take advantage of certain Mac-specific interface (mainly) functionality.
• A cosmetic upgrade, with an eye toward things like refreshing the icon set.
But, as Fade In users are well aware, there will be plenty more to come.
Also, it’ll be a free update for existing owners.